Friday, June 12, 2009

Freshtown events

I just got back from work a short while ago, and I had quite a crazy night. For some reason the store was incredibly busy, I have no idea why. Usually the worst time is Sunday. For the past year and a half I've been working at Freshtown (or more commonly known as Foodtown). I can't keep up with the names, it seems every few months the store gets a new identity. Most of the time things go well there, generally there aren't any problems. I have a floor position which means I do a variety of tasks. My general routine consists of stocking, blocking the shelves, emptying bottle machines, helping customers locate items, and collecting carts. I'm not on register, which makes me very happy. I find my job to be much more relaxing and less stressful. The best part of being on the floor is being able to go at your own pace, there aren't any mad rushes you have to deal with. The worst part for me is having to empty the bottle machines, I absolutely loathe it. It's very dirty and I constantly have to worry about getting cut by broken glass.
Every so often I come into contact with some very interesting characters. For example, the other night I had this lady come up to me and she wanted me to help her find something. So I did, no problem there, but just as I was about to go do something else she starts telling me her life story as if I'm her best friend... oh boy, took me quite awhile to finally get away. And then 5 minutes later I saw her in another aisle and she picked up where she left off. Some of the other oddities I come across are people who carry on conversations with themselves when I'm only a couple feet away, I guess they don't care if people see them talking to themselves or they don't realize it.... I don't even try to comprehend thier rationale anymore. Then I have to deal with shop lifters who constantly try and steal beer and other drinks. One night this guy came into the store a picked up a case of beer, and for 20 minutes he walked up and down every single aisle in the store, basically going in circles and looking paranoid. At this point me and the assistant manager watched him very closely, shortly thereafter he headed towards the door and was about to leave but he quickly changed his mind and went in the opposite direction. A short while later he left the store without the beer. And later that night the case was found in the hot dog shelf...
The most memorable thing a customer has asked me is "What's fat free milk?" I basically just stared and thought to myself "are you freakin' serious!?!" This was no joke, the woman had no clue what fat free milk was. She had to live under a rock, for the name says it all. Fat free milk has NO FAT! I couldn't believe it. These are the sort of things I deal with on a daily basis. Nothing amazes me anymore. I'll bring you updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment