Monday, June 15, 2009

Time

Looking back at everything now, it has come to my attention that I have the longest summer break this year since I've been either 4 or 5. College is so much different from high school, my last day was on May 7th, and I don't go back until Aug. 31st. That's 3 and a half months off, it's nice but I'm just not used to it. I can tell already that by the time August comes around I'm probably going to be bored and won't be able to wait until I get to go back to Mville.

As of now I don't have all that much planned for the summer, maybe just a few day trips. But inbetween I'm sure I'll be doing some fishing and hiking. And one day next week I'll be going down to Tarrytown to do some crabbing. There's a very good spot near a boat club I know about, and it's only a few hundred yards away from the Tappan Zee bridge. Over the years, I've caught bushels full of blue claw crabs. They're actually quite good, and to many people's surprise they're clean as well. Since companies have stopped polluting the river, it's gone back to it's natural state pretty rapidly. I mean you do techincally still have to worry about some residual effects of the PCB's, but as long as you don't make a daily habit of eating something from the river there's no problem.

Not too far away from the spot I go crabbing is the town of Sleepy Hollow. And yes it is real, it's not just a completely fictional story. The town is rather peaceful and yet it's also busy. There's tons of stores in the midtown section which makes it a frequent stop for visitors and residents. I have some family living in the area so I visit at least a few times a year. A bizzare event occurred a couple years back. During a strong and tumultous thunderstorm a tornado formed over the river and eventually made it to land. It then proceeded to up Main street, and was for the most part directly in the center of it. Over the tornado's destructive path it took out a police car, tons of trees, and some stained glass from a church. Talk about weird, what's NY becoming Kansas? But yeah, the town is really nice, and all throughout is the reminder that you're in a historic place. Signs, sculptures, and restaurants all depict "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".

Getting back to the main topic, I think the summer will go rather smoothly. A month and a half has already passed by which in itself has been a well deserved break from the stress of college life.
With these activities, events, and work I'm sure I'll spend my vast and also limited time wisely. Because come August my Sophomore year begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment