Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hiking


I just realized that I haven't done any hiking recently. I'm going to have to fix this by setting something up shortly. The last major one I've done occurred a couple months back when I visited Storm King Mountain. I knew it was going to be very good on account of things I heard, but it exceeded my expectations dramatically. Anyone who does any hiking has to go there at least once, you'll regret it if you don't. Surprisingly, the entrance to the trail is extremely easy to access. It's right off a major highway; there's a small parking area which you go to and this by itself offers breathtaking views. Once started, the trail ascends rather steeply for the first mile or so. But once the summit is reached it flattens out a bit. When I arrived at the north slope I was greeted with panoramic views of the Hudson River and surrounding highlands. It's almost indescribable. Gazing down on the river below makes you feel like your on top of the world. Luckily I went on a clear spring day, so I was able to see for miles around. Towards the west the Catskills and Shawangunks were visible, not to mention an unobstructed view of the entire city of Newburgh and surrounding locales. Having the chance to hike the 1,400 foot mountain showed me exactly why it's the most revered peak along the Hudson. And it's hard to imagine that it was almost destroyed by a power plant a couple decades back. General Electric planned on building an enormous plant on the most visible face, this surely would have put an end to it's scenic properties. But a group of people opposed it and after a 17 year legal battle, it was determined that it would remain forever wild. And in fact most of the land along the banks of the river in the highlands is parkland now, nothing will ever be built. These sections still look the same way they did four centuries ago when the river was first sailed upon by the Henry Hudson and his crew. And I find that amazing.


I feel as though "progress" shouldn't always be about changing and building, sometimes it has to be about conserving and saving. For when we destroy natural wonders around us we're not improving anything, instead all that is getting done is the elimination of our heritage. Once enough damage arises there's no reversing it, we must think wisely about the future. What would you rather do: hike up a mountain to experience the sublime or stroll through a power plant? It's your choice...


Possible upcoming hikes include the follwing: Sam's Point and Lake Minnewaska in the Shawangunks, Mt. Beacon in the Highlands, and Slide Mountain in the Catskills. I'm always looking for some company, so if you feel like going on an adventure I'm sure we can set something up.

No comments:

Post a Comment