Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mountain Glen


Well, I did a little exploring today. In the late morning after it had warmed up I checked out a newly acquired piece of club property. This is by far the smallest piece of land that we own, it's comprised of only about 100 acres, yet it's the most stunning and mysterious. Basically the entire property is a deep mountain glen that's surrounded by towering mountains and covered with hemlocks that block out the sun. Once I made it down to the stream it was incredibly dark in most places, and as a result there wasn't much plant growth beneath the canopy. I brought my fishing pole with me to see if I could catch any native trout which I hear inhabit the waters. To my surprise I found the stream to be loaded with relatively deep holes, usually a stream this small doesn't have any like these. After trying a good amount of spots with no luck I gave up for the day. Next time I'll have to try worms instead of a lure... Nevertheless, I still stayed and examined the area some more. Until today I've never been in an spot quite like this, it's so isolated and wild I thought I was in the middle of the Adirondack's. I mean it's pretty easy to access from a road, but once you lose sight of it you step back in time.


When I got to the bottom of the small valley it had to drop at least 10 degrees. With no sun and the cool water flowing rapidly by my feet I'm surprised it wasn't colder. I'll definitely have to come back on a hot summer day, it's way better than AC. The only disappointment was the discovery of a couple of old corroded car frames in the water along with some other trash. Why do people feel the need to throw their garbage in such a spot? It utterly amazes me.

Almost every rock near the water is covered in a thick mat of moss, I had to be careful not to slip. I had a one close call, but luckily I saved myself. I'm glad I did for I really didn't feel like going swimming today. Although... in the future I may try it on account of one deep hole that's the size of a small pool.


It's a nice piece of property, good thing I checked it out. I've wanted to for the past few months but just never got around to it. Next time we have a hot day I'll be back...

No comments:

Post a Comment